Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors of 2016


I haven't done a shared post for a long, long time. But I've noticed quite a few people sharing this Top Ten Tuesday list today, and it looked too good to pass up! Top Ten Tuesdays are hosted by the Broke & The Bookish, with a new question each week. This week's is:


Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read For The First Time In 2016

So, looking at my list of books I've read this year, I have a few interesting authors to share who I read for the first time this year. Some are debut authors and some are established ones that I've finally got around to reading!

The first few are authors who've created fascinating mixes of writing and art. The remainder are novelists and essayists who I was very glad to encounter this year.



Noelle Stevenson: I first read the brilliant graphic novel Lumberjanes, then went on to read more of this series, plus Nimona. All great.




Sarah Lazarovic: I found her charming illustrated nonfic book, A Bunch of  Pretty Things I Did Not Buy, by chance - lovely read



Teva Harrison: In-Between Days is her powerful memoir of living with cancer. I found it so memorable I also just bought the colouring book she's just released just to have more of her.



Anne Michaels: I've always *meant* to read some of her serious fiction, but finally read her for the 1st time with her very sweet children's book, The Adventures of Miss Petitfour, in which I discover my literary doppelganger, Mrs Collarwaller.



Frances Shelley Wees: this classic mystery writer has been re-pubbed by Montreal based Vehicule Press, and Keys to My Prison was a fine mid-century take on Toronto



Kate Taylor: I've sort of read her before -- I read the first chapter of her earlier novel Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen, years ago, but it didn't stick and I put it down very early on. This novel, however, was wonderful! (review to come)

Madeleine Thien: Despite her earlier books, I'd never read anything by her. Then I read this award-winning, amazing novel. Great read.



Lynne Kutsukake: this fellow librarian's debut novel is a wonderful tale of girls in post-war Japan. Perfect book club book!


Alice Zorn: this Montreal set novel is fabulous and was a wonderful find.


Ivan Coyote: *Amazing* I knew of Ivan Coyote but hadn't read anything until this year, after I heard Ivan perform at our first ever Stratford Writers Festival. Tomboy Survival Guide is SO good. (review to come)


14 comments:

  1. Melwyk, I haven't read anything by any of these authors, but I hope to. Thank you for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by the variety when I looked back at the year. So many interesting people writing :)

      Delete
  2. Lumberjanes is so fun! I wouldn't mind owning the series, but I read them on Scribd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first couple from the library. I'd like to own the whole series too - such fun.

      Delete
  3. I love discovering classic crime writers. There are a few small presses that are reprinting them and I love it. Check out Mary Roberts Rinehart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about classic crime novels! I have Rinehart on my list to explore in future. My fave reprinted crime right now is the newly released set of Margaret Millar's complete works - 2 v. out so far!

      Delete
  4. I had the Thien from the library but due date was fast approaching and I couldn't renew because of holds on it. I didn't want to rush it so I returned it unread and will try again in the new year.

    Ironically, my husband bought me A Bunch of Pretty Things I Did Not Buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, must love that irony. I read it via the library...

      Yes, save the Thien for the moment when you have time to savour the long read.

      Delete
  5. So I've been meaning to read The Lumberjanes ALL year long...I don't know what's wrong with me, but I keep putting it off. Next library trip I'm definitely checking it out! (And I've added several new authors from this post onto my own 2017 To Read list. Thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I hope you will enjoy the new to you reading. Think you'll enjoy Lumberjanes too.

      Delete
  6. Great list of books. I made note of some of these as they sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear! I never know if Canadian books are available everywhere but I sure read some good ones this year.

      Delete
  7. Noelle Stevenson is wonderful! Great list.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is! I hurried right out and read Nimona right after this.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!