Monday, September 01, 2014

It's Time... for RIP IX!


It's that time again! September 1st and time for the Ninth RIP (Readers Imbibing Peril) Challenge! Fall doesn't really start until RIP appears; and although it is humid, windy and warm today, I'm sure that before long the oven will be used again, sweaters will be dug out of summer storage and I'll return to my hot chocolate addiction that takes over in the cooler months :) But to kick off any season, the most important thing is to read some appropriate literature, of course...

Ably hosted by Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings, this challenge is all about throwing yourself into 

  • Mystery.
  • Suspense.
  • Thriller.
  • Dark Fantasy.
  • Gothic.
  • Horror.
  • Supernatural.
  • Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.

I've always loved this challenge -- it's such fun to read creepy tales and share them at this time of year. This year I'm choosing to do Peril the Second: read two books that fit this criteria between Sept 1 and Oct 31. I'm hoping I'll get to read at least four titles to make it to Peril the First, but not sure I will able to, so for now I am committing to two! Here are two suitable titles that I plan to read, both from my Century of Books challenge list:

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne DuMaurier
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Hope you will also think about reading along!

4 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for long-sleeved shirt weather. I've been aching to wear my favorite comfy clothes again. Hopefully soon....

    I really enjoyed We Have Always Lived in the Castle when I read it for R.I.P. a handful of years ago. I hope you do the same. Thanks for taking part again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun reading challenge I couldn't resist signing up for it, too. I'm trying for Peril the First. There's just so many books to choose from it's hard to know what to read first. I've never read either of your choices, but I like Shirley Jackson. Can't wait to hear about We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We Have Always LIved in the Castle is very good. I haven't read My Cousin Rachel but hear it's also good. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of this reading challenge. I am sure you'll enjoy it, Melwyk!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!