Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Shelf Talkin'

I had a fun opportunity to create something at work this week -- we had a "craft time" moment in our staff development day, inspired by the work of local author Marthe Jocelyn. Marthe recently published a book called Sneaky Art, featuring random acts of public art that kids can make, things that will surprise people and hopefully bring a smile to their day. Some of the photos in the book even featured our library!

So we took inspiration from one of her ideas, and created our own shelf-talker "conversation bubbles" to stick into books on the shelves, suggesting content, or perhaps a reading situation which a book might suit. After pondering for a while, I came up with this theme:


This is a view of my staycation bubble as you're walking down the aisle. Below I've turned it around to catch the sun, and so I can show you which book I chose. While Astrid & Veronika is not light summer reading, it does take you away into a Swedish summer, with a very memorable scene in which the two main characters decide to go swimming at the lake...so if you can't get away, read yourself away.


4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love Marthe's new book. I was showing it off to my After School Club. They were in love with the little boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of fun ideas in that book - I love cork crafts - just another excuse to drink more wine! ;)

      Delete
  2. Fun post today! Adore the idea of a talkin' shelf--very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it looks fun to have a bunch of them in the stacks :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!