Sunday, June 09, 2013

Barbara Pym, and Life Moves On

This is a weekend miscellany, a few bookish thoughts to share today.


First of all, I am saying farewell to Pym Reading Week. Many thanks to Thomas at My Porch for alerting me to this readalong event and for his hosting. Check out his wrap-up posts for numerous links to some Pym love! Considering that I didn't know if I would participate until a few days beforehand, I have really enjoyed this week, and read some more Pym from my Pym Pile, and found new bloggers who are also Pym readers. And discovered many recommendations for authors to follow up with... Angela Thirkell, Hazel Holt, Anita Brookner, Iris Murdoch, the Penelopes (Lively & Fitzgerald), Catherine Fox, Stella Gibbons... who all have some level of similarity to elements in Pym.

**************************************

A little late to the game I've discovered Alex in Leeds' Book Jar. It's a wonderful concept, reminds me of something faintly similar I did as a  young teen, and had completely forgotten about. She's already read & reviewed 3 titles pulled at random from her jar. Take a look -- would you keep a TBR this way?

****************************************

Last but not least, it's time to start thinking about the next round of the Canadian Book Challenge! It is Year 7, and I'm looking forward to another fun year of reading 13 Canadian books from July 1/13 - July 1/14. John at Book Mine Set hosts this one, and it is very simple: read anything Canadian, and review it online to share. I've enjoyed this for the last six years and am already pondering a theme for year 7... even if you don't join in, be sure to check out his compilations of links for all of the previous years. It's a treasure trove of Canadian book suggestions!
7th Canadian book challenge

6 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Pym week - really enjoying nosing around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Book Jar idea; thanks for the link. And I'm definitely going to have to check out the Canadian Book Challenge. I'm sorry the Barbara Pym week is over; it's been fun reading all the different Pym reviews while I wait for my own Pym books to arrive from Powells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I liked the Book Jar idea quite a lot! Glad to know that you also have some Pym on its way to you, though.

      Delete
  3. Although Pym week is over, you've given me a new author to seek out. Thank you for the intro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear that this fun reading week intro'd you to Pym. I think I am now Pymmed out for a bit -- will save the next few titles for later on when I need a fix...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!