Thursday, December 29, 2011

TBR Twenty, 2012

Emily of Telecommuter Talk held an "Attacking the TBR" Challenge two years ago which really helped me clear off some of the books I'd had sitting on my shelves for a long time. I enjoyed my reading, and the numbers of books I read from my own collection increased.

Although this particular challenge isn't running this year, I am going to use the same idea for 2012 -- make a list of 20 books I want to read from the shelves I already own. It's a great way of keeping track of what is still on the shelves awaiting my attention. I've joined the Unread Challenge this year and these books will count for that -- but this is my working list just for myself of books I own and want to read next, books that don't fit in to any other Challenge listing. (and I am trying to include only titles I own for all of my challenges, as well, for the most part anyway)

The first six are titles from last year's list that I didn't quite get to - they will remain on the list for this go round and see if they get their turn this year.


1. All the Names / José Saramago

2. Mystery Stories / David Helwig

3. Translation of Dr. Appelles / David Treuer

4. The Postmistress / Sarah Blake

5. Exit Lines / Joan Barfoot

6. Passing On / Penelope Lively

7. According to Mark / Penelope Lively

8. With you the moments of my life are fading / Roy Lewis

9. A Large Harmonium / Sue Sorenson

10. The Line / Olga Grushin

11. Everything Beautiful Began After / Simon Van Booy

12. The Ladies of Grace Adieu / Susanna Clarke

13. The Enchantress of Florence / Salman Rushdie

14. The Tortoise and the Hare / Elizabeth Jenkins

15. Mr. Skeffington / Elizabeth von Arnim

16. The Go-Between / L.P. Hartley

17. Excellent Women / Barbara Pym

18. The Cast Stone / Harold Johnson

19. Dandelion Wine / Ray Bradbury

20. The Disapparation of James / Anne Ursu


And some non-fiction, which I don't count as part of the 20 but as extras, in case I'm more in the mood for non-fiction at some point:

1. Must Write / Edna Staebler

2, The Arcanum / Janet Gleeson

3. The Paper Garden / Molly Peacock

4. Pursuing Giraffe / Anne Innis Dagg

5. Little Comrades / Laurie Lewis

6. Intersecting Sets / Alice Major

4 comments:

  1. This is, in my opinion, a most excellent idea! I'm gonna take a look at what I have, and see what kind of list I can create for myself. Thanks for the push in that direction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too have a list of Must Reads for 2012.
    Not really a list.... moreso a designated shelf, where I observe them in all their lovely readiness.
    Of your list I have only read one of the books, and I highly recommend it to you as one you should neglect no further.
    All The Names.
    It was [is] a terrific book, as all of his are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one I've read is The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which I loved. But there are plenty of books in there I've been meaning to read, especially Excellent Women and The Tortoise and the Hare. Looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget - I find that when I make a conscious list I do read most of them -- and they are ALL books I bought and wanted to read in the first place, so I don't know why I haven't got to them yet!

    Cipriano - I am really looking forward to this one...I've been saving it but this is the year!I like the idea of having a special "up next" shelf. Maybe I should do some rearranging.....

    Nymeth - I loved Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell so much that I was a little afraid to pick this one up in case I didn't like it as much. Too bad - I'm going to read it this year!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!