Saturday, December 11, 2010

Literary BFFs

I saw this fun meme over at Stefanie's first, who saw it at Litlove's, and Grad's and Iliana's. If you've done it too, please leave a link in the comments so I can take a peek!

I had to try it, as it caught my fancy and I've been thinking about it since I first saw it. Who would your top ten Literary BFFs be?



1. Anne Shirley I can't help it, Anne would be a true 'bosom friend' and I am sure I would have enjoyed being a child with her. Once she had all her children I don't know how much we'd have to talk about, but until then we'd have been great friends.


2. Emily Byrd Starr And in related news LM Montgomery's Emily would be a fascinating friend, with her quiet habits of thinking and writing and dreaming. I'd have liked to be friends with her from her childhood in Emily of New Moon all the way to her adult writer self by the time Emily's Quest finishes.


3. Lottie Wilkins Like Stefanie, Lottie -- from Enchanted April -- always seemed to me like such a positive, lovable, funny person to me. I'm sure she'd be very cheering to spend time with.


4. Cassandra Mortmain Cassandra (I Capture the Castle) is the diary keeper and general observer in her crazy family, who all live together in a crumbling castle. Her clever, bookish demeanor appeals; and I'm sure she really needed a good friend what with all the unrequited love and neurotic father issues she was dealing with.


5. Molly Gibson from Wives & Daughters would be an interesting friend! With her interest in science & medicine and in poetry, as well as her level-headed attitude, Molly could use a break from her charming, beautiful stepsister and elderly spinster acquaintances and just be able to hang out with other girls like her.


6. Precious Ramotswe from the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency would be a hoot to spend time with. Conversations with lots of excitement and insight into human behaviour, plus great swathes of time for tea: sounds like a recipe for friendship to me :)


7. Marion Holcombe from The Woman in White is a fearless and fiercely loyal friend to her half-sister Laura, sticking with her through thick and thin and outmaneuvering hardened criminals in Laura's defence. I'd love to have her on my side, too.


8. Amber Darke She's a nature lover, the 'plain' sister in Mary Webb's A House in Dormer Forest. Amber is a charming person who is utterly unappreciated by her strange and suffocating family. But her good qualities shine through; she would be soothing and inspiring to be around.


9. Amelia Peabody from Elizabeth Peters' Egyptian mystery series. Amelia can do anything, and make anyone else do anything she wants as well. Hopefully what she would want me to do, if we were friends, would be exactly what I wanted to do myself. Or I would be out of luck!


10. Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane I would have to be friends with both of them, as I can not imagine them separately now. The company of these sophisticated, brilliant talkers might make me feel inadequate, but I would always learn something -- and they would be chummy and friendly, not snobby about any of their knowledge.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if I can list ten (and not all from 'classics to be sure!), but here are the literary peeps I'd make a point of becoming friends with because they'd be powerful in their own way, interesting to get to know, or simply fun...

    1. Gandalf
    2. Aslan
    3. Nancy Drew
    4. Macbeth (twisted, I know, but interesting none the less)
    5. Dr. Frankenstein

    If I think of more, I'll come back and add them later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and here's another one:

    6. The kids from the Enid Blyton children's mystery series - they were independent and smart,and they always saved the day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you about Anne Shirley! I'd love to hang out with her. I have the feeling she would exhaust me pretty soon, though, so the visit should be short :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love seeing everyone's answers to these memes. I think Lottie Wilkins is a marvellous idea, as is Cassandra Mortmain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen - thanks for sharing your ideas...I agree, there would never be a dull moment around the Blyton kids!

    Dorothy - I suppose Anne could get a little exhausting, couldn't she? ;)

    litlove - glad you started this one on its way over here...I too enjoy everyone's answers - reminding me of some books I should read again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!