Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BBAW Reading Meme


It's BBAW, Day 3: today's project is a meme, in which brevity is of the essence -- so here are my very brief and to-the-point replies!



Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
No, not generally. I don't like to get stuff in or on my books! My only snack is a cup of tea.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I guess my librarian side just can't do it; I do not mark up books. My favourite reading aid recently is a pack of post-it flags -- that way I can mark everything down in my reading journal after I've finished.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?Laying the book flat open?
Again, librarian! So I always use a bookmark, though that can be a receipt, an old slip of paper, or even (gasp) a real bookmark.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Fiction! No, non-fiction. No, both!

Hard copy or audiobooks?
Definitely hard copy. I've tried audiobooks but I just can't do it.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
I much prefer reading to a chapter break. I'll only put it down in the middle if I have to.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
Nope, if I can't Italicpuzzle it out from the context I'll flag it to look up later.

What are you currently reading?
Let's see, Muriel Barbery's Gourmet Rhapsody, Victor Lodato's Mathilda Savitch, Joan Clark's Road to Bliss, Joseph Gold's The Story Species. For starters.

What is the last book you bought?
Colette Rossant's foodie memoir, Return to Paris

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
See above. No, seriously, I prefer having at least three on the go for different moods and times of day.

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
If I have the day off I love to read on my front porch in summer, or in a sunny window in winter. Otherwise, anywhere will do! And I can not fall asleep without reading something first.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
Generally stand alone, though I have read a few series I enjoyed.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Right now I am going through a serious Penelope Lively craze. Read her!

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
Um, bad librarian... I don't organize them at all. I get enough of that at work. ;) I just pile them on to the first available space in the bookshelf.

9 comments:

  1. I love having several books going at once too. Usually 3 or 4. Oh and tea and books is a great combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't organize my books either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to read a bunch of books at the same time, but I don't anymore. Not sure why that is!

    I can't fathom people that don't organize their books! My shelves are always really organized...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kailana - but they are all organized in my head! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. gautami, iliana - tea and books just seem to go together...

    Serena - glad I am not the odd one out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, you're reading Gourmet Rhapsody? Can't wait to read what you thought of it! I haven't seen any reviews yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! I'm loving all of your good librarian/bad librarian answers. Too funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't yet read Barbery's ELEGANCE OF A HEDGEHOG (it's sitting on my shelf). I'll look for your review of GOURMET RHAPSODY :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!