Monday, December 03, 2007

Canada Reads, of course it does

The latest list for February's "Canada Reads" week is now available. You can win a set of all five books plus bookbag in a weekly draw, if you so wish. The line-up consists of five books, none of which I've read, EXCEPT for Thomas Wharton's Icefields. That's the book I was going to pick when I suddenly became famous and was begged to participate in Canada Reads! Sigh, I guess I'll have to go through my list again and select another first choice, just in case, you know. I'll have to wait until fame descends, though, because as John discovered, they don't want just any Canadian putz telling us what to read...
If you were going to choose a Canadian book to champion on Canada Reads, what would it be?






4 comments:

  1. Any Canadian putz...Hmpfff!

    I think I'd go with Alistair MacLeod's No Great Mishief, but that'd be likely to change any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - Ha! If you make a run for it again I'll vote for you!
    I'm not sure which one I'd pick. I'm still deliberating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And like a putz, I misspell "mischief"- d'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am absolutely voting for "Icefields". Here are my reasons:

    1. Everyone in Canada has already read Timothy Findley.

    2. See above for Mavis Gallant.

    3. I would have expected Dave Bidini to pick something other than the writer whose work was made into a very famous film that the Rheos did the soundtrack for. I'm just sayin' -- not very inspiring.

    4. I admire the choice of "Brown Girl in the Ring" but fantasy, poetry, memoirs, anything "out of the ordinary" always gets voted off early. Seriously, has something other than fiction ever won Canada Reads?

    5. The cover is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!