Monday, September 02, 2013

Return of RIP VIII

It's hard to believe that it is already time for the annual RIP Challenge, now in its Eighth iteration! Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings is always a fabulous host and I'm so looking forward to some more RIP reading.

Nothing says Autumn like earlier evenings, falling leaves, hot drinks, and creepy reading! Around about here it's still muggy and summerish, with rain and heat and so on. So we only have the creepy reading going on right now, but I'm sure the rest is coming...

As Carl says so succinctly:

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.

Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above. That is what embodies the stories, written and visual, that we celebrate with the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril event.
As time has wound on I’ve honed this event down to two simple rules:
1. Have fun reading (and watching).
2. Share that fun with others.

If you wish to join in on RIP VIII, go on over and sign up on Carl's blog. RIP reads go from September 1st to October 31st, so there is plenty of time to decide on a Perilous reading level and read along.


This year I'm once again going to choose Peril the First -- reading 4 books by RIP's end. I'm creating a pool of choices, some which I own and some for which I am eagerly awaiting release dates. Some of my possible reads in the weeks ahead...

We Have Always Lived in the Castle / Shirley Jackson
Perfume / Patrick Suskind
The Terror / Dan Simmons
The House of the Wind / Titania Hardie (DNF)

Alchemist & the Angel / Joanne Owen
Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes / Jonathan Auxier
Daphne / Justine Picardie
Bellman & Black / Diane Setterfield  (DNF)
Bones of Paris / Laurie King  (DNF)

Actually Read:

The Haunting of Maddy Clare / Simone St James
Utterly Heartless / Jan Underwood
The Deadly Space Between / Patricia Duncker
After Life / Rhian Ellis
Touch Not the Cat / Mary Stewart
An Inquiry into Love and Death / Simone St. James


12 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. I'm reading a book that would probably qualify: The Asylum by John Harwood. I love a good Gothic thriller...especially if it also has ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect read for the RIP Challenge! I also love ghostly gothics the best of all these possibilities...

      Delete
  2. We Have Always Lived in the Castle and Daphne were really good. I am also hoping to read Bellman & Black. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd nearly forgotten about Daphne - thank goodness that RIP makes me look at my older entries on the TBR...

      Delete
  3. I will be curious to see what you think of Bones of Paris. Did you read the first book "Touchstone?"..I read Touchstone so am waiting on some reviews for Bones of Paris .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Touchstone -- but I have liked Laurie King's other books so am hoping to catch up here... I hope you liked it!

      Delete
  4. The Terror is so good! I know it is chunky but it reads fast and Simmons is great at pacing and keeping the suspense going. And We Have Always Lived in the Castle...creepy! Looking forward to seeing what you decide to read from the pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read The Terror -- I've had it on my RIP list for years now! I loved The Haunting of Hill House when I read it for a previous RIP as well so really want to catch up with my Jackson.

      Delete
  5. Melwyk, your selections sound so good, I just might be lured back to this fall reading challenge. But like you, our weather is still quite summery--and unfortunately it's muggy here, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started reading the Hardie book, and as today is rainy and dark, even if not too cool yet, I think it's a good time to get going on some of my RIP reading!

      Delete
  6. It's still hot here too (and muggy lately, which is unusual!) but all this creepy reading around the blogosphere is making it start to feel like autumn despite the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Autumn is now more on my mind, thanks to RIP!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!