Friday, June 07, 2013

Pym: A Cover Story


Thomas of My Porch has issued a challenge this week for all we Pym readers... he suggests creating one's own cover for a Pym novel. While this is a rather intimidating idea, especially considering his fascinating post on the original, much admired, designer of the Dutton Pyms, Jacqueline Schuman, I thought I'd give it a go.

Since I read and enjoyed An Unsuitable Attachment so much this week, I thought I'd riff on the library content and try to create something with a library motif. Thanks to the very fun catalog card generator, and of course Flickr's Creative Commons, I began. Note that I am not a very good photo editor/manipulator!

First was this tea-themed faded glamour:

(teacup image via a bevy of, Flickr)

I liked this image, but didn't think it quite worked. The card doesn't meld in enough, my designer skills are pretty crap, as I mentioned. 

So then I thought, well, go minimalist! Library all the way, and got:


(card catalogue drawer image from j l t via Flickr)

I actually rather like this one. Looks like a punchy reissue, nothing girly about it at all. And the card acts as title & author as well, something I've always thought would be neat to see on the cover of a book. Of course, I could have continued on and actually added some subject headings, and maybe I will at some point -- but this will do for now!

What do you think? Would you read this book if it looked like this?


6 comments:

  1. Yes I like the second one too as the colours blend together better.
    The index card is a great idea - made me smile out loud :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling out loud...nice image!! Thanks for leaving your thoughts on these :)

      Delete
  2. I like the second one, but then I am a middle-aged library employee, so I gravitate to the card catalog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I am also a middle aged librarian, must be why I thought of this idea in the first place :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun idea! Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!